Forum Introductions

Please feel free to introduce yourself here (should you wish)!

Hi! I work for an enterprise software company. I think technology recasts power in new ways. I am concerned about the concentration of power over technology, held in the hands of a few.

One of my favorite animals is a duck.

3 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m a coder for a multimedia agency, working across web and ā€˜experientialā€™ projects. I believe the corporatocracy of the internet is creating an intentional knowledge gap and am interested in re-introcucing people to the independent and open concepts of its earlier years.

I think my favourite animal is an otter.

2 Likes

Howdy, I work for a web search engine, formerly (for my sins) one of them blockchain companies (a foundation actually). I studied Economics at university and also have a deep interest in power, technology, and the way these two interrelate.

My favourite animal is probably my neighbour, Willow.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m a whistleblowing in tech researcher (currently writing up PhD thesis). Iā€™m a business analyst and was previously a software engineer tooā€¦
This is my favourite animalā€¦sheā€™s a grumpy old girl, with a few medical issues. But sheā€™s fighting on for nowšŸ¾

4 Likes

Hello chums, Iā€™m a data visualisation developer, recently started at a co-operative, and do some work in the disability activism space. You might know me from UTAW.

My favourite animals tend to have six or more legs :bug::honeybee::spider:, although I am partial to a wombat.

3 Likes

So many cool people! Yikes! Hi!

Iā€™m a longtime anti-capitalist DIY media activist and freelancer and one of my main sources of survival is facilitating learning programmes for a small non-profit, the FreeTech Project, which I founded way back in 2010.

Iā€™m in Sheffield, England, and am passionate about technology and its potential for social good, and Iā€™m currently using eOS on mobile and Manjaro on desktop.

Thatā€™s it, right? Oh crap no! Favourite animal! Umā€¦maybe a giraffe? Though Iā€™ve yet to meet one. Maybe Iā€™d be disappointed?

2 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m a software engineer for a large tech company, but generally consider biting the hand that feeds. Iā€™m decently far-removed from the very controversial stuff, looking at stuff people actually upload into our system in an attempt to sell stuff and adding annotations to help the various downstream systems (of varying agreeableness) use to retrieve and rank their results.

Iā€™m in the US right now but am looking to change that.

My favorite animals are sadly a 5-hour drive away from me but are relatively gentle cats.

5 Likes

Hi,
Iā€™m a graphics software engineer by trade, photographer, climate justice grassroots organizer, and deal with social media mainly to promote local activist causes. Have a growing interest in infosec, and have always been skeptical of the role information technology plays with respect to power consolidation vs. distribution and democratization, as well as impacts of things like ā€œthe feedā€ on peopleā€™s psychology and culture at large.

I like humming birds a lot.

3 Likes
                     _   _          _            _     _                           
                    | | | |        | |          | |   (_)                          
 ___  __ _ _ __ ___ | |_| |__   ___| |_ ___  ___| |__  _  ___   
/ __|/ _` | '_ ` _ \| __| '_ \ / _ \ __/ _ \/ __| '_ \| |/ _ \ 
\__ \ (_| | | | | | | |_| | | |  __/ ||  __/ (__| | | | |  __/
|___/\__,_|_| |_| |_|\__|_| |_|\___|\__\___|\___|_| |_|_|\___|

HoomanBean(w/ Voice), Engineer, Entrepreneur, H4ck3r, Gardener

1 Like

Our Team ā€“ FreeTech Project I am pretty sure I recognise Andy. Anyway, nice project mate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks and welcome! Maybe collab sometime! And Andy has the hacker look down, for one thing, but at the same time it makes him seem recognisable when he isnā€™t. In this case, though, you may know him from the Sherwood Forest area? Or RISCOS stuff? Thatā€™s his bag!

1 Like

I have visited access space before. Was in an around Sheffield during Occupy times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah yes, something else which began with promise, much like IndyMedia! :smile:

1 Like

Hello :face_holding_back_tears::bangbang:My name is Nadia - I like being called Noddy too. I was a programming student. I love coding (Java was my first love) and I am finally gonna start my comp sci degree. I found locus from mastodon - Joshā€™s post about this reading group. Iā€™m anti-capitalist and I wanna learn more about tech to hopefully not become part of the problem. Iā€™ve read everyoneā€™s introductions here and itā€™s so heartwarming to see anti-capitalist tech workers aaaaa and a little daunting considering everyone has a good amount of knowledge and experience in this field. Iā€™m still a beginner to all this but again, very eager to learn. Please correct me when I mess up, i am willing to put in the work to change myself and the world for da betterrr :flying_saucer:šŸ«¶šŸ½ :bangbang:

2 Likes

We have a pretty broad range of knowledge here, for example Iā€™m not much of a coder, but more of a keen follower of tech, technopolitics, etc - itā€™s probably quite likely youā€™ll teach us/me something! Regardless, itā€™s great to have you and welcome.

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna back this up and say thanks for joining us @nadia. For me itā€™s important for this kind of knowledge to be accessible - and you shouldnā€™t have to be an expert to contribute. I hope you enjoy taking part both here and hopefully in the reading group!

3 Likes