Which Linux distro puts me furthest away from DC?

Got the notification today that my Framework will be turning up in the week. There is no way that I will be going anywhere near Windows, and so it’s going to be the big switch for me.

According to: Framework | Linux on the Framework Laptop full compatibility on the 12th Gen will mean using some kind of corporate-backed Linux projects (Ubuntu, Fedora, or Manjaro). I know that Debian and Arch are both possible, and are both community-owned, and have a lot of experience with the former.

What should I do? I’m falling a bit into the Resist category here, but is using a non-Windows, non-OSX laptop even a form of resistance to DC?

1 Like

I get the impression it’s going to be very much a case of trying it out and seeing… I’m yet to make the full jump to linux, though I really quite badly want to try it. I’m also interested in the idea of, if I were to go down a similar route, trying an eGPU with the Framework. For when I might want to do some video editing, 3D stuff, or maybe even some gaming.

As for your actual question… Debian might be the safest pick? Or perhaps Linux Mint? I’ve also heard good things about ElementaryOS, which is kind of aimed at being a comfortable jumping off point for win/mac users switching to linux. Unfortunately Ubuntu is suuuuuper convenient as they have a lot of quality-of-life improvements packaged with the OS in terms of system support.

To be honest though, even using a desktop linux of any flavour is a decent form of resistance, especially running on an open-ish hardware platform like the Framework. Many of the issues with Ubuntu can be patched out, and there are many guides for removing telemetry and the like. I don’t know whether Ubuntu still sends a bunch of telemetry to amazon but removing that stuff would be my first order of business if I were to use ubuntu as my daily driver.

1 Like

Having spent a bunch of time on the forums I would say this is the way a bunch of people get around the GPU being a non-negotiable fixed piece.

As you will well know, but so that anyone else jumping in to see how this progressed since your comment (we talk outside of this forum too :laughing:) I ended up with Pop!_OS, which in my eyes is very similar to ElementaryOS, heavy focus on Mac users, and tied (kind of) to System76, another alt-hardware producer.

I was warded off this as a difficult path by so many people; I’m very much a n00b in comparison to most who work in tech and I found this switch to be simple. Actually, I’d (do a Keir Starmer and) go further, by saying this is my favourite operating system I have ever used. It doesn’t bug you like Windows or OSX. If you want to change something you can change it. I have become an intolerable evangelist… finally.

Thanks for your help :smiley:

If anyone reads this, it’s linux time for you!

I’ve been buying refurbished laptops but if one can budget for it, Framework seems like such a great idea as it’s so sustainable and therefore ultimately pays for itself.

I’m not sure what OS might “mesh” best with Framework, but I’m assuming it’ll nicely handle many distros.

My own personal journey over the decades was from Windows to Mac to (once I discovered Linux) Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Manjaro, full Arch, then back to Manjaro. Manjaro’s use of the Arch User Repository means there’s a plethora of powerful software available while still being very user friendly, which is very appealing to someone like me who needs a lot of multimedia tools with compatibility but also needs to just get stuff done quickly! Manjaro’s tagline is essentially “stop distro-hopping” and for me that turned out to be prophetic. It’s just superb. But that’s me!

So with my own subjective perspective aside, I’d always suggest something fun like LibreHunt to help anyone decide!

1 Like

I was very very fortunate to have (both the ability to raise that money but) thought about the next laptop the instant I purchased the Macbook which will shortly be taking a trip to my sister’s house - after I’ve replaced the battery :exploding_head: I just shoveled away a bit here and a bit there for a good three years.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the most popular opinion in some circles (and they very much have their reasons) but I think the distros which are (like yours and mine) punting for user friendly are going to make it a lot easier to get non-tech-geek friends and family using linux… which is basically not being used by them giant tech companies so much :smiley:

1 Like

That is awesome, definitely worth saving up for - again, it really does potentially pay for itself. I’m aiming to get one!

And I totally agree, distros being “user-friendly” is an underrated concept. I get that the Linux world, like many communities, will use jargon and approaches as a means of being “in-clusive” but it’s a double edged sword when it also “ex-cludes.” For me, the goodness of Linux deserves to be spread far and wide, and that means popularity and accessibility.

On a related note, I remember saying something similar on Mastodon once and a Linux developer retorted that they’re busy creating good distros and aren’t in marketing! I thought that was funny.

1 Like

I once again wish to apologise for the invention of my profession and reassert that I am trying to be better. :rofl:

I think to a certain degree this is one of the issues (which I’ve seen manifest many places) - people think that doing good work is sufficient to pull people in. In time, maybe, but unfortunately people like Edward Bernays created this world, and now we’re living in it.

1 Like

I agree with you completely. Good things are given a disservice if they aren’t promoted and publicised - there isn’t anything bad about that!

The paradox is that Linux aren’t generally selling anything so don’t market anything. Though that’s not strictly true (and I’m not just referring to Ubuntu/Canonical or Fedora/Red Hat, et al): if budgets can be set aside for developments, so they must be set aside for marketing; I do think Manjaro becoming a company and being accountable and publicising themselves better has provided another good example of what can be done.

1 Like

@Gaffen’s choice of operating system on his phone too (providing that’s not changed since he last mentioned it) is a similar kind of thing: https://e.foundation/

1. Fork Android
  2. Make it less hellish
  3. Incorporate but keep the OS and the business side a tad separate
  4. Make the $$$ selling refurbished pre-flashed devices and things like Nextcloud storage.

Pretty sound in my eyes, and very accessible.

1 Like

I use eOS on my phone too! I have to say, it’s one of the best operating systems I’ve used on anything, ever (I realise that’s high praise, but just my honest opinion!)

2 Likes